Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Bates? What Bates?

Recently I'm on an assignment to audit Bates accounts, one of the well known advertising company in prior years - fact that that the Company had downsized in year 2003. However, it still have some big clientele though. I can't disclose much here due to my job's independance policy.

What I can see in an advertising company's environment is that, people are better off cheerful and playful, yet hardworking like us because of deadlines too. Not all. Some of them werebusy doing "something else" during the day, that's why they stayed back late. Some of them just have got nothing to do all day! Only some of the minority whom need to stay up late to clear things up, because he/she is resigning. It is now non-peak season, as there are no festivals to get them to working. One of them once told me, when it's time to work, they really have to work. Then I thought - I have been Really working for more about half a year now, it is not over and yet another big project for me is coming - an electronic manufacturing company, Flextronics in Shah Alam! Yeah bring it on.

During the good times of Bates, the directors used to buy most of the furnitures from Bali, Indonesia. Office standards are ensured. Some part of the floor is wooden based, a big aquarium at the front of the reception, and the entrance path is parelled with twin stretches of white stones. Television sound is heard around the office and the pantry as there were speakers hung at some of the high traffic points. Even of Saturdays there is volume output from the speakers. And uh, a smoking room:



Smoking room, formal-ly known as meeting room


I have no idea did they produce that 18 plus warning signage as well?


There were Australians working very next to our cubicles. They used to switch on their speaker phones to talk and they scold, talk loudly like nobody's business.

G (Australian): So, S, do you think I have got a crystal ball here yea?
S (local) : Sorry? Ball?
G : Yea do you think I got a fucking crystal ball that I could see what's going on there in X yea?! You did not fucking call me!
S : We have everything under control bla bla bla
G : You gotta update me alright. I'm like sitting here like a fucking donkey waiting for your call. You need to tell me what's going on there ya!
S : Ok the stage is still Bla Bla Bla ...
G : Alright. -puts down the phone.
G : Talks to himself - Fuck, what's wrong with these people?

Well yeah that's fucking rude for a foreigner yea.

Comes to a notice sticked on the wall, states:








What an experience in an advertising company. Alot of elements in the Company have its own nature of creativity.

No comments: