Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Disasters - Only Struck When You Are At Least Conscious

One day when I was in a nice slumber with the sound of drizzling from my window, it came a powerful thunder that blasted into my ears. My neurons then activated my body to jump off from bed like as it is a sudden wake from nightmares in the movies. I thought it would be my unfortunate LAN (Local Area Network card, which costs not more than RM30) hardware that its fate would belong to the garbage bin. I was relaxed and pressed on the CPU (Central Processor Unit) on/off button and realized the casualties suffering from the disastrous thunder aftermath was not only one, but many. The computer did not respond to my finger action at all. I did not care much, so I brought the CPU to the computer shop to diagnosis. Well, the technician opened up the CPU, got the LAN card, showed the black spot on the hardware, and spun it to the dustbin like nobodies business. The technician, who looked abit nerdy and chubby with several pimples on his cheeks, then told me with a sad and caring tone that my motherboard together with the Intel processor chip were gone! With the moment of unfortunate event, came his colleague and yelled asking:

Colleague: Lei pei lui pek ah??????!! (You've got struck by lightning is it?)
Me: Ngo mou pei lui pek! Hai ge tin lou pei lui pek zhieh (I was not struck by lightning! But the computer is)

According to him, there were alot of lightning cases that struck computers these days. It may be a way of consoling, but I appreciated that. After thorough diagnose, my computer needed a repair of a new motherboard, new processor chip and a LAN card; and that is RM320 paid for a processor and LAN card and a surge protector and a 2% charge for using credit card (The stupid retailer is passing the burden of 2% bank charge for credit card service). It would cost more if I don't have a spare motherboard.

Reached home and found out the internet was still unable to connect. Went back and the technician expected me because he could not believed the modem was still OK if the lightning penetrated all of the hardwares. The price tag rediculously stated RM160, so I asked for the actual price. He quoted RM140 with the lowest discount he can afford. My expression was in disbelief and I asked the price again. He bow his head down with his hand to support the head, thinking very deep and he quoted: RM138! I was like WOW! That's the price of a newer model of the same brand that my sister bought 2 days ago in Low Yat Plaza without much bargaining. Without leaving me thinking further he said, "the profit for us is just RM3 only brother....." and I was like "Ugghhh.. he's decorating his freshly baked crap with a crap". It was paid by a credit card and further 2% was again.... charged... and I went home... mesmerized....

No comments: