Saturday, June 04, 2005

It's Damn Funny! But You Will Not Lough

If you did read on newspapers lately, you may have encountered an article published on Wednesday, June 1st that tickled my loughing nerves. Remember there was one article couple of months ago about a cabinet minister critisizing some other cabinet ministers to better keep their mouth shut, than to reveal their stupidity to others in cabinet meetings to discuss about the nation's current issues. Followed by the cabinet minister's critisism, his opinion was greatly opposed by other cabinet ministers, as expected. Therefore, stupid ideas are still voiced out in the cabinet's meeting (called Dewan Rakyat) every week and month then. Finally, one of it has been revealed. Excerpts of the recent newspaper article:

KUALA LUMPUR: Movie-goers may have to stand up and sing the national anthem before the start of the film as a mark of respect and appreciate the Negaraku campaign conducted by the Information Ministry.

Ministry secretary-general Datuk Seri Dr (*Censored) said cinemas were being encouraged to play the anthem after all commercials and movie trailers were shown.

“It’s not compulsory. The Government does not want to be regimental about it. But we are encouraging it and hopefully, it will be carried out willingly,” he told reporters after singing Negaraku with Bernama staff in an assembly at their office here yesterday.

Dr (*Censored) said that playing the national anthem was also encouraged at entertainment centres, before morning assemblies at kindergartens, schools and private institutions of higher learning, and “before baca doa (prayers) at Government offices with piped-in music.”

The campaign, Dr (*Censored) said, was also to evoke a sense of patriotism and sense of pride in Malaysians.

“We need to acculturate the citizens to always stand at attention and sing along proudly.

“The respect and appreciation for the national anthem is waning and the blame is on us if the future generation can’t sing Negaraku,” he added.

Imagine a situation of this:
I am here to watch Star Wars last episode. I booked the tickets, I arrive at least 45 minutes before the show. My friends did not book the ticket arrive 1 hour earlier because of the queues. Having to wait 1 hour is not a big deal to catch the show. Yeah, no doubt there are alot of advertisements before the show too. I expect the ads cost 15-20 minutes of my time. So I got in the cinema on time, waited the ads to pass for 20 minutes and voila...

Everyone seemed busy putting their things, some already stood up, lights on, holding my pop corn, my Coke left on the seat, one of my hand still holding my girlfriend. I see some yellow-haired musketeers are still sitting, some are leaning against the wall, some couples are hugging each other, few couples walking the stairways stood at their position, some stood lazily, some digging their nose, some playing the handphones, some loughs and whispering to each other, also I heard and smell somebody eating Twisties behind me, yummmm, as the sound of drums came........

Negaraku (My Country)
Tanah tumpahnya darahku (Land where my blood pours)
Rakyat hidup (People living..)
Bersatu dan maju (United and developed)
Rahmat bahgia (*I have no idea what this means)
Tuhan kurniakan (Given by God)
Raja kita (Our King)
Selamat bertakhta (Safely on His throne)

Rahmat bahgia
Tuhan kurniakan
Raja kita
Selamat bertakhta"

There goes the national anthem, as I look at a Western couple in front of me, I wonder what is in their minds the moment they see everyone is standing. I hope it will not be like this:

"What the hell is everyone doing? What are they singing? But what I know is that the drums in the music rocks!"

This is not a critism of patriotism, but as a Malaysian citizen, I do not want my own country's image to be like this kind, in the eyes of the world.

No comments: